Monday, April 28, 2008

Shark Frenzy...

Those of you who know me well, know that I LOVE sharks. Have since I was a kid. In my bedroom, I have a big poster of a picture I took of a great white in South Africa...fascinating, beautiful, powerful...sharks are incredible creatures that should not be feared. Your chances of being killed by a shark in any given year are about 1 in 280 million, according to the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis. 1 in 280 million! You are MUCH more likely to die in car crash, get killed in Iraq, or be eaten by a hippo. And yet sharks are considered fierce predators who must be killed. Some people actually work as shark hunters...
...like Quint in Jaws! That's fucking stupid! Sharks live in the ocean...we VISIT the ocean. These are beautiful creatures who hardly ever bother humans. JAWS, while one of my favorite films of all time, is just that...a FILM. Sharks do not hunt people, they do not EAT people. If they attack you, it's an accident...they think you are a seal or something. As I mentioned, hippopotamuses kill WAY more people than other animals in Africa, but we don't kill them. Lions, tigers...we don't kill them. It's considered poaching, and is illegal. Sharks are killed for food all over the world...particularly for the Chinese (yes, yet another reason China is inherently evil) "delicacy" shark fin soup. The Chinese apparently believe that dried shark fins prevent disease. This is bullshit. Everyone should see the documentary Sharkwater, a fascinating and extremely upsetting look at sharks' treatment around the world. These animals deserve the same protection as the countless land mammals we protect. And if you are that 281,000,000th person who gets attacked by a shark, that's unfortunate, but we are swimming in their home. If you camp in the mountains, a bear MIGHT attack you. It's a risk we take. The family of the man who was attacked this weekend are already back surfing and swimming. Wish everyone else would get over it too.

1 comment:

Dinesh said...

Today I shall leave my mark. I've muted my music for this. I'm in the zone.

Sharks are cool. I concur. (Don't stop reading. I know what you're thinking "Seriously, you're going to open with "sharks are cool."" Relax. I'm building. However I do think you have failed to address some serious issues.
First you bring up the point that we visit sharks in the ocean. I can appreciate this. It is their domain. I think a major reason that I prefer shark week on discovery to the real live version is the very fact that I have no desire to invade their territory. However, this brings me to my point. Humans as a species have decided to visit the shark domain. Which leads me to believe that it is only a matter of time until sharks become curious and visit the human domain. Now I am fine with sharks swimming around, bullying the seals, and stealing the squids lunch money. But when I've got to wait an extra 20 minutes are dunkin for my coffee , because there is a line of 30 sharks who want to experience "coffee" that's where I draw the line. This brings me to my next point.
Facebook.invite.guilt.
It is not that I don't necessarily want to attend the event that you have asked me to attend via your clever facebook invite. It is just that I don't want to attend the event you have asked me to attend via your clever facebook invite. People need to stop just sending out the invitation to everyone they know. I am forced into a group of ambiguity via the "people who may attend" category which I am not comfortable with. I am a yes or no kind of guy. You have FORCED me to choose maybe. Your even is in Florida, tomorrow, and I need scuba gear. I am in New york, its the middle of the work week, and I am headed to the gym. Its not going to happen. But i can't put the "not going to attend" response. You've spent so much time planning, and making this facebook invite. So I pretend that I might show up, when you and I both know it's not going to happen. In the words of general hummel from The Rock, and I quote "Damn you for putting me in this position." Also, that's what she said.


and i'm out.